- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Folgers Classic Roast® Instant Coffee Crystals
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- Powdered sugar
- Step 1
BEAT shortening, sugar, vanilla and almond extract in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa powder, coffee crystals and salt. Gradually beat dry ingredients into shortening mixture. Stir in nuts and cherries. Chill dough 1 to 2 hours.
- Step 2
HEAT oven to 325ºF. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls using 2 teaspoons dough for each. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Step 3
BAKE 20 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Place on wire rack to cool completely. Roll in powdered sugar when cool.