Mexican Chocolate Cake with Mocha Glaze
- Baking spray with flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract
- MOCHA GLAZE
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 oz. pkg) chocolate chips
- 2 tbsps. Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2 tbsps. Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tsp. instant expresso powder
- OR 1 tsp. Folgers Classic Roast® Instant Coffee Crystals
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Step 2
HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch (12-cup) fluted tube pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- Step 3
WHISK together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Step 4
COMBINE buttermilk, shortening and cocoa powder in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until shortening melts. Pour over flour mixture. Whisk to combine. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.
- Step 5
BAKE about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.
- Step 7
COMBINE glaze ingredients in small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir until melted and smooth. Drizzle warm glaze over cooled cake. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Serve.