Lady Baltimore Cake with Mocha Frosting
- Baking spray with flour
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 tsps. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- COCOA MOCHA FROSTING
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsps. strong brewed Folgers Classic Roast® Coffee
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or almonds
- 2 tbsps. Smucker's® Simply Fruit® Orange Marmalade Spreadable Fruit
- Step 1
HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat two round 9-inch cake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2
COMBINE cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup milk and shortening. Blend with electric mixer at low speed. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add eggs, 1/3 cup milk and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Step 3
BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans on racks. Remove from pans to cool completely.
- Step 4
BEAT shortening, vanilla, salt and cocoa. Add powdered sugar and coffee alternately, beating until smooth.
- Step 5
PLACE 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Stir together 2/3 cup frosting with raisins, pecans and marmalade. Spread on top of layer. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Step 6
*To make 1 cup strong brewed coffee: Measure 1/3 cup Folgers Classic Roast ground coffee and 1 1/3 cup cold water into a drip coffeemaker.