Back to How to Make Coffee
Learn how to use a French press for a fun and easy way to jump-start your day. All you need is Folgers® Coffee and a French press.
Use these illustrated steps to follow along with the video, or print them to keep as a guide.
- Remove and rinse the plunger with hot water. You’ll also want to fill the glass pot and coffee cups with hot water before using them. It will keep your coffee hot a little longer.
- Pour out the hot water and place 8 tablespoons of Folgers French Roast coffee grounds into the bottom of your press.
- Pour hot (but not boiling) water into the glass pot, leaving about an inch of room at the top. Stir the water and coffee with a plastic spoon.
- Put the plunger back on top of the glass pot, and be sure to turn the lid so it blocks the pour spout. Don’t lower the plunger. Just let the coffee brew for 4 minutes.
- Lower the plunger, slowly, all the way down to the bottom of the pot. Once you get the plunger all the way down, turn the lid to open the spout, and pour!
Try these ideas for adding a little extra something to your specialty drink:
- Flavored syrups can put a delicious spin on just about any coffee drink. They’re available in a variety of flavors, such as vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, and more. Look for them in the coffee aisle at your local grocery. To prepare, microwave the syrup for 30 seconds on high before adding to your drink.
- Sweetened whipped cream is another popular coffeehouse topping that can be re-created at home. Use a refrigerated store-bought product, or make your own.
- Specialty coffee drinks can be finished with a sprinkle of cinnamon cocoa or Smucker’s® Sundae Syrup™ Flavored Syrups.
Smucker’s and Sundae Syrup are trademarks of The J.M. Smucker Company.